Thursday, May 31, 2007

Final Post

I want to wrap up the term in a neat box, but... to do so would force me to radically oversimplify or nod superficially to complicated things, or otherwise leave out important untied knots...

It's worth it, after all, that I started out absolutely loathing Wallace Stevens, who seemed simply bored with ho-hum-conventional religion, used a superficial, uninventive, and ucky rhyme/rhythm style, having yet another romantic picture of the noble savages, and poring over it in class I realized there was substance to Sunday Morning after all. (That is, I learned to stop being a self-righteous jerk who assumes her aesthetic preferences are necessarily the right ones.)

The debate over the "place" for religion/religion-analogues in a person's identity is still unsolved, and I think I'll keep thinking about it after this term is over... Same with the debate over the status of Atheism/atheism and other secular worldviews, in the pecking order of the chicken coop of religions... (Though this debate regularly makes my lunch table stormy and unfriendly anyway)

I don't have a well-formed response, but I want to say a hearty "ditto!" to Imitaz's claim,
After one’s loss of faith in God, poetry serves as a substitutes for religious texts in a secular setting where the poet’s words is similar to the scriptures found in religious texts that are believed to be God’s words.

especially in terms of all the debate and noise on one hand that goes on over a phrase's meaning, or intended meaning, or meaning in context X, and silent contemplation/enjoyment/meditation on the other hand. Very similar.

Another website I want to share, pursuant to my final essay: The Forgiveness Project

and because that one was sort of heavy, here's one that's just off the wall: a youtube compilation of long tracking shots from films. Find religion in that! ha-Ha!

and a last... because that previous one was sort of snide. artists are more liberal because telling a good story requires understanding the cohumanity of the bad guys.

No comments: